FIBER CEMENT SIDING
Fiber Cement Siding has achieved a very high level of popularity in the cladding industry thanks to it's many benefits and range of residential and commercial style options. It can mimic wood siding in many respects, from appearance to the way it's installed, yet is free from some of wood siding's downsides. It can also come in the form of modern style panels which are installed with architectural grade aluminum channels. It is the king of non-combustibles as it's made primarily from silica sand. Although installations can be quite labour intensive due to its heavy weight and the high degree of skill required to install correctly, the material itself costs considerably less than many of the specialty siding alternatives, and can offer a building's envelop many essential benefits.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT fiber cement siding
- There are a few styles to choose from, including plank style, shingle style, traditional board & batten style, and modern commercial panel styles.
- Virtually 0 maintenance.
- Virtually impervious to dents, scratches, and dings.
- The king of non-combustibles (suitable for specific building codes)..
- If not installed correctly, fiber cement can sustain significant and irreparable damage from moisture.
- Has one of the lowest material costs compared to other specialty siding.
- Can be difficult to work with - weighing over 2 lbs/ sqft.
- Releases crystalline silica dust when being cut, which is a serious health hazard, and must be dealt with accordingly.