Steel Siding is a contemporary powerhouse in the exterior cladding market for many reasons. It comes in many styles from classical corrugated panels to wood-like tongue and groove planks. It typically costs the least among the specialty siding options, as raw material is an inexpensive commodity, and panels covering large sections of wall can be installed very efficiently, lowering time/labour costs. Unlike aluminum, steel is not free from the threat of rapid oxidation (rust/corrosion). However, steel siding products come coated with exterior paint or other corrosion resistant metals. This dramatically increases the life-space of steel siding products and it is not something you'll ever have to worry about, that is, if it's installed correctly.
things to know about STEEL SIDING
- Can be installed horizontally or vertically.
- Available in painted, galvanized (zinc coated), and galvalume (zinc, aluminum and silicon coated).
- A more cost effective alternative to styles resembling modern Architectural Aluminum Siding.
- Can be ordered in custom lengths and up to 40'.
- Virtually 0 maintenance.
- Long-life span.
- Available in different thicknesses - the thicker it is, the more robust it is, becoming more resistant to oil-canning and dings.
- Impenetrable by animals or insects
- Non-combustible (suitable for certain building codes).
- Galvanized or stainless steel screws are used for fastening.
- Tends to have the lowest cost compared to other specialty siding materials.
Leading MANUFACTURER BRANDS
You can learn more about these products as well as request samples by visiting the manufacturer's websites. Click on the brand names within each "Specialty Siding" category in the drop down menu at the top of the page to visit them.